Tuesday, May 1, 2012

What are you wearing?

What are You Wearing?

Originally posted in October 2009 (soon to be updated for 2012)


Just about every conversation I have with divers about SCUBA diving eventually touches on the subject of gear. What do you wear and why? Is this a "good" brand? Should I buy this, or that? I get these questions so often I figured it would make sense to write it all down and share.

First off, let me say make this statement; I do not sell SCUBA equipment, nor am I currently affiliated with any dive shop or manufacturer on a commission basis. I make all my gear suggestions free and clear of any monetary compensation. That being said, I typically point to my own personal gear and explain why I use what I have.

One other quick note up front, I use different kits for teaching, fun dives and tech diving, below is my basic setup.

From head to toe here we go, this is what I dive and why:

Mask - Atomic Arc (with neoprene "slap strap" - a must have add-on) I carry an Oceanic Shadow as a backup mask
Pros - I own a half dozen or more masks, I like the comfort and fit of the Arc, it works for me which is the most important criterion for any piece of gear
Cons = Most expensive mask you can buy that does not have gold plating or a computer built in

BCD - Zeagle Stiletto (w/ split-saddle crotch strap add-on)
Pros: -I have been diving with Zeagle since 1997, I have a old Zeagle Ranger with more than 1400 dives on it. The most comfortable and durable BC you will ever strap on your back. Plus they have, hands down, the BEST warranty in the business. They are made right, and made right here in Florida. I have an open invitation for anyone to try any of the 7 Zeagle BCD's I own. Dive it, then you will understand.
Cons - They cost a little more than most major brands.

Primary Regulator - Zeagle Flathead VI with DIN connection - most often setup with a 7ft long hose.
Pros - It flat out performs in any conditions; cold water, deep water, upside down, whatever. Breathe it, and you will get it.
Cons - $$$

Alternate Air Source - Zeagle Octo-ZPros - integrated alternate air sources are pretty much mainstream these days, I like having one less hose dangling. The "garden hose' attachment is pure genius.
Cons - None

Computer - currently using the Aeris Elite Air Integrated (moving to the new Zeagle N2iTiON 3 which supports 3 gases, built in digital compass, and all that)
Pros - Does everything a recreational diver will ever need and more. PC download kit is key to logging all my dives.
Cons - Additional failure point and oh yeah ... $$$)

Cutting Tool(s) - Zeagle Knife/Scissor combo with slate, Gerber Multi-Tool, I also carry basic line cutter in my pocket as a backup
Pros - anything that cuts wire works
Cons - more stuff to drop and lose.

Tank - Worthington LP Steel 85 - I own 16 or more tanks, including AL 80's, 63's, 40's, steel 100's and doubles. However, you will most often see me with a LP steel 80 or 85.
Pros - Steel is Real. I use no weight with these tanks and can stay down all day on a single fill, any questions?
Cons - you guessed it, they cost a LOT more than AL

Fins - Cressi Gara 3000 full-foot long fins - few personal gear items spark more debate amongst divers than fins. I am a fairly fit and I like being able to work in a current. I also like to have some reserve power if I need to rescue or assist someone and drag them with me through the ocean
Pros - Power, speed, all that...
Cons - you get nothing for free, more power means more leg effort required to make them go.

Essential Accessories - I always carry the DAN SMB kit along with a finger spool and extra double-ender clip. My dive watch is the Citizen Eco-Drive 300m Professional (it was a Father's Day gift), however I prefer my old school Navy issue Casio G-Shock. I now carry the Aqua-Lung roll up snorkel in a pocket along with a CPR Pocket mask and nitrile rubber gloves. My lobstering / spearfishing gloves are "Mechanix," available at any auto parts store. My wetsuit of choice is a full length 3/2mm.

Since SCUBA gear is major investment for most of us, it requires more than little thought and planning. As all my students know, I will be happy to work with you and help you make gear decisions. Also, I will be happy to let you test dive any of my gear. Occasionally I do hear about good deals and will try to pass them on to this list.

Final thoughts - for some people their gear choice is like religion, once you're in, you are in for life. However, know this; none of the major dive manufacturers out there make junk anymore, the lawyers have sorted all that out. Most of the stuff you can buy is good. I like to think I am open minded about these things, however I do have my opinions and they are just that; my opinions. At the end of the day you need to decide what works for you. Try before you buy and know what you're getting into.

No comments: